Sunday, February 19, 2012

March 10, 1954

Friday night Willie and I went to Nuremberg.  I stayed with Barbara.  When we got there the Boswell’s, friends of Willie’s, had a bottle of champagne.  Then Saturday we went shopping in the PX.  Saturday afternoon Willie and I wandered around downtown and I bought some pewter down in old Nuremberg.  We also wandered through Woolworth’s – just like home – records and everything, except that it was all in German.  We ate dinner at the hotel and then went to the dance there.


St. Lawrence Church, Nuremberg

Sunday we had dinner at Der Munsterstinger’s and then sat in the bar at the hotel and chatted.  We almost had to stay in Regensberg because of train connections.

         Last night we went down to Sara and Ken’s and Doc fixed us chop suey.  Certainly was good!

Went downtown today and made like real Germans – ate wurst and sauerkraut at a gasthaus.

March 20, 1954

One night last week, Bob Walker, Willie and I took Pat Allen down to make roll call – Mariandal and Prince Alfonse – really had a ball.


The infamous Mariandal in Straubing

         [Ok, so the infamous Mariandal, which I am assuming was some kind of place to hang out and party, reminds me of the B&L Warehouse in Athens.  Nothing special looking on the outside, but the B&L was party central when I was a freshman in college.]

Last Friday Col. Wilson had a promotion party here.  It was really some party – costs $100.  Then we went on down to the Mariandal.  There we ran into Max and Gus, our bartenders, so we went down and opened up Max’s gast haus.

Barbara came down Saturday afternoon.  We just messed around here and that night Willie and Paul took us to the “Hard Times” party.  That was some party.  Afterwards we had to take Barbara down to make roll call.


Party time at the Officers Club Bar

We messed around Sunday.  I got a cable telling me that I have a new nephew (must be Jimmy Wade).

Wednesday night there was the Shamrock Cocktail party – St. Patrick’s Day.  Afterwards we made the rounds downtown.

“Parties make the world go ‘round….!”  [And there it is.  I wonder if my party loving mother could have ever imagined that she would raise a bunch of party loving children!]

March 22, 1954

Saturday night Willie, Bob Walker and I went down to the Mariandal for supper.  Then we came back here.  The orchestra was here and very few people.

Yesterday afternoon Flo and Bob Wofford and I went to Wahalla – near Regensburg.  It is the Hall of Fame for Bavaria.  It is very pretty with busts of famous people – Bach, etc.  Right now I can’t think of any more except a big statue of Ludwig, who built it.


Walhalla in Regensberg

Last night Willie asked me to go to the movies!  Miracles will never cease!  [It's kind of fun to know that she got all giddy and stuff when Daddy asked her out.]

April 4, 1954

Last Saturday was the spring formal.  Beforehand was a battalion dinner.  I went with Willie and had a grand time.  Afterwards we went down for roll call – from Lt. to Col. And dress blues to tails.

Sunday a gang of us went bowling and that night Willie and I went to the movie.  Then Monday night we went to see the play “The Moon is Blue”.  It wasn’t so hot. 

         Afterwards I typed a court martial for Willie.  [I am assuming that this was a court martial that Daddy was going to give and not his own court martial!  Of course, I'd like to think she wouldn't have been so calm if it had been the latter - LOL.]

Tuesday Battalion left for Grafenwohr for two weeks of firing.  Monday Regiment goes out for a week on CPX.  This place is really going to be dead.  [Poor Mother.  No boyfriend.  ;-( ]

One night I gave Pat Allen a Toni.  Bob cut off what we couldn’t curl – shades of home!

Last night Maj. Pettigrew had a promotion party!  Need I say more!


The Officers Club - in the calm before the party started

April 6, 1954

Saturday afternoon took Peggy Allen to the kiddie show – Tarzan.  (Pat was sick.)

        That night about eight of us went to the dance.  A new pilot, Jim Bray, came in.  He is a friend of Phil and Joe Haller’s.  We went down to their house later.

Then Sunday afternoon a bunch of us played bridge.  Then we went to the zoo downtown.

April 12, 1954

Thursday night Pat Allen and I went down to Flo Wofford’s for pork chops, turnip greens and black eyed peas and cornbread.  Sho’ was good.


Flo Wofford and Pat Allen


Pat, Don, and Peggy Allen

Friday afternoon AB Quinn and I played my first game of golf.  Saturday afternoon we went shopping.




Mother's caddy

Saturday night Pat and I spent the night with Pat Leighton.  We sat around and chatted and played records.  Then Sunday we finally got dressed about 3:30.  We came out here and Pat Allen won the free drinks.  We had a party! [Oh my, what a shocker!]

Battalion comes in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment