Sunday, November 20, 2011

Postcards from the edge....

Mother sent home a number of postcards to various family members, mostly her parents and sister.  Here are some that cover her travels to this point.


This one is a photo of Straubing from the Danube.  She sent this one to her cousin Harvey May and it reads:  You just ought to see me now!  I'm sitting in a compartment on a train going to Cologne. Then we are going down the Rhine on a boat to Frankfort.  This place is really great, and the people have been grand to us.  School starts Tuesday and I suppose we will probably get into our routine.  Then maybe I'll have more time to write.  How do you like this address I have? (she included her full mailing address)  Why don't you use it and write to me sometime.  Tell Auntie I'm going to write her a letter soon.


This one went to her parents and sister Amelia Ann:  Went to Regensburg yesterday to look over the town.  This is a picture of the oldest church in Germany - St. Peter's Cathedral.  It dates back to 1100.  Notice that the twin spires are open work which is unusual.  This church is beautiful on the outside but kind of disappointing on the inside.  The stained glass, which is really stained, over the main altar was done in 1400.  They haven't gotten all of it back in yet.


Another postcard to her parents and Amelia Ann:  This is where we ate lunch today, and the barrel really is there.  The place is full of atmosphere and the food was good too.  This is the Ratskeller.  It is in the bottom of the Rathaus, which is the courthouse.  Y'all would have loved it.  Wish you could have been there.  You better write me soon because I am not going to write again until I hear from you!


Another postcard to home:  We're on this now.  We started out a 1900 hours last night, and we get there about 1430.  We have been on 3 trains and 2 buses already.  Now we are in the North Sea.  This country up here is very flat and it is foggy and damp.  The Island of Nordeney, where we are going, is a big resort in the summer.  Hilde says that the ones we are going to stay with don't speak English.  Ought to be fun!


Another one to home:  We came to Nurenberg yesterday and we have been on the go constantly.  Went to the game (we won), hit the night spots last night and went sightseeing all day today.  Dink and John are coming by now for a few minutes.



Here I am steaming down the Rhine.  It's just beautiful.  I do wish you were here because you would enjoy it as much as I.  I will write a letter with all of the details as soon as I get back.


Postcard from Istanbul:  Well, we're here!  This is the bridge over the Golden Horn, which separates the old part and the new.  It has been rainy and misty all day, but we've been taking pictures like mad anyway.  Tonight we are going to a nightclub for a little while.  On to Jerusalem morgen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! You know how I love postcards and here you have some that your mother wrote and sent! I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete